How to apply
The application period for the 2021-2022 parks Canada Youth Ambassadors is now closed. Next application period will open in the Fall of 2021.
For the 10th time in the history of this program, we are in the process of hiring the next Parks Canada Youth Ambassadors. 2020 has taught all of us a lot and the experience of the next youth ambassador will be based on the learnings from the past summer. The mission for the 2021 youth ambassadors will be to inspire all Canadian youth to #PlanAhead and get outside safely, to highlight the work that Parks Canada does and to share the rich natural and cultural heritage of Canada. To do so, they’ll produce social media content and creatively engage young Canadians both in-person and remotely.
We are looking for movers and shakers! People who are social media savvy and who want to be the voice of youth to present what Parks Canada is about in a new and highly creative way.
If you enjoy establishing meaningful connections and linking networks, if you are passionate about the natural and cultural heritage of Canada and want to share this passion with your peers; if you are a talented communicator with knowledge of digital creative tools and social media trends, this may be an opportunity for you!
Parks Canada Youth Ambassadors Program 2021-22
External Relations and Visitor Experience
Outreach and Marketing Branch
The onus is on the candidate to submit an application that addresses directly the screening requirements of the competition (education and experience). Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or missing information. Failure to do so may result in your application being rejected.
*All communication throughout the entire staffing process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications*
Applicants will be screened against the following criteria and must clearly indicate that they meet all the established criteria.
- Applicants must be registered as a full-time student in a recognized post-secondary program
- Applicants must have completed one year of full-time post-secondary education by May 2021
- Applicants must be returning to full-time post-secondary education, in Canada, in September 2021
- English or French Essential
- Asset: bilingualism
- Experience in writing for social media beyond personal use
- Experience in producing multimedia content (photo, video, GIF, etc.) to be published on social media channels beyond personal use
- Experience in organizing and delivering public events, presentations and/or activities, either virtually or in-person
- Experience in youth engagement and mobilizing your peers
- Youth, in the context of this work, is defined by an audience aged 18-24 years old (Post-Secondary Young Adults). We are expecting that the Youth Ambassadors will engage with peers and get them hyped up about Parks Canada
- Previous works or volunteer experience with Parks Canada
The following criteria will be assessed at a later date (essential for the job).
- Knowledge of Parks Canada’s places, mandate, priorities and programs
- Knowledge of social media trends, tools and best practices
- Knowledge of photo and video editing software
- Knowledge of the Adobe suite
- Ability to promote in creative and innovative ways, both in-person and virtually
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to collaborate with various networks
- Ability to organize work and manage time
Personal Suitability and Leadership Attributes
- Strives for excellence
- Personally connects with people
- Makes things happen
Condition of employment
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada. Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen or have the legal documentation to work in Canada. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit
- Be available for work full time from early May 2021 to the end of August 2021, then part-time from September 2021 to March 2022, in Canada
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Obtain the appropriate security level. Your security level must be maintained throughout your employment with Parks Canada Agency
- Willingness to work and/or travel in varied terrain, weather conditions, isolated locations and by various means of transportation
- Willingness to wear a Parks Canada uniform, if required
- Requirement to work irregular hours, overtime, evenings, weekends and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays, when required
- Willingness to work from various locations, including the National Capital Region
- Willingness to travel extensively, including overnight, for multiple days and/or weekends
- Please note that telework may be considered for this opportunity
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Parks Canada manages one of the finest and most extensive systems of protected areas in the world. There are 171 national historic sites, 46 national parks, 1 national urban park and 4 national marine conservation areas located throughout Canada.
An international leader in the areas of natural and historic heritage conservation, species at risk protection and restoration, Parks Canada has consistently worked for over a century to preserve and maintain this national living heritage - a cultural legacy for all Canadians.
All these unique and exceptional places represent the very essence of Canada. They tell its story and offer an unforgettable and unique experience for visitors who are looking to discover the real Canada.