To prevent invasion from the Richelieu River, one of the entrance road to Canada, Ile-aux-Noix has been fortified many times since 1759 and a garrison occupied it until 1870.
A strategic point for the defense of the colony, whether it was French or British, Ile-aux-Noix played an important role in three major conflicts: the Seven Years’ War, the American War of Independance and the War of 1812.
In the 19th century, Ile-aux-Noix harboured a naval base and dockyard built by the British during the War of 1812. In addition to the naval establishment, many buildings occupied the outside of the present fort.
Download the Site Plan (PDF, 97 Kb)