COVID-19 and your visit to Sault Ste. Marie Canal National Historic Site
Openings and services differ across the country. Please check the Parks Canada national information portal dedicated to COVID-19 for regular updates.
Important information about your visit to Sault Ste. Marie Canal National Historic Site
To ensure the safety of visitors, residents and staff, Parks Canada is taking a phased approach to opening aspects of the site. In doing so, physical distancing for the public remains a critical requirement in all areas of the site. Visitors are reminded to follow outdoor etiquette at the site, including respecting any closures and restrictions, yielding to oncoming users in narrow spaces, properly disposing of any garbage, and following hygiene rules.
The visitor centre (still in its temporary location in the trailer next to the Administration Building) will open to the public with capacity restrictions on June 14th. In accordance with Algoma Public Health, it is mandatory for all members of the public entering the indoor premises of businesses and organizations in the Algoma District to wear a face covering (i.e. non-medical mask). This includes entry to the visitor centres at the Sault Ste. Marie Canal and Fort St. Joseph National Historic Sites. Please consult site signage for capacity restrictions and use hand sanitizer upon entering the visitor centres.
What’s open (updated June 14)
- Day Use Areas
- Hiking Trails
- Parking Lots
- Recreational lock
- Observation deck
- Accessible washroom
- Gift shop
- Visitor centre
- Bike Rentals
What’s closed (updated June 14)
- Interpretive programming (TBD based on current situation)
Your safety when visiting
- Parks Canada is asking Canadians to stay home and support the national effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Keep a healthy space of 2 metres between you and others.
- Be extra cautious when engaging in any activities to avoid injury and/or getting lost to help minimize the demands placed on emergency response, search and rescue teams, and on the health care system.
- Leave no trace when you visit outdoor spaces. Please take all your garbage with you and help keep these places clean.
- Abide by all travel advisories and area closures.